Re: Installing 'Potato' with a Promise Host Adapter

<quote who="Andrea Scolari">
> Hi to everybody,
>
> I'm trying to install the Potato dist of Debian on a PC with 2 ATA133 HD
> connected to a Promise Ultra133TX2 Host Adapter.
> Note that my machine is CDROM-less and I have to boot with the rescue
> floppy and then install the system with FTP.
>
> When the dbootstrap program starts, it doesen't detect my HDs. It
> prompts me to load a module of the Hardware.
> ????? ????? ?????

use the ide boot disks available on the ftp sites or the debian
cds.
i have used these to install onto Promise ATA/100 and ATA/66. they
*may* work on ATA/133 but then again they may not. i have specifically
avoided the ATA/133 controllers because they are not as well supported
under linux as the ATA/100s.

if all else fails it may be possible to build a custom kernel and
replace the kernel on the rescue disk to boot from, though i have
not tried this. in this situation if theres nothing i can do,
i usually connect the disks to a controller that IS supported,
install it, and compile&install a new kernel which supports
the newer controller, and reconfigure fstab(if needed) and
lilo(if needed) and boot from it. or outright replace the
unsupported controller with something that is supported, with
ATA/100 cards goin for $20-30 these days its not that
expensive for me ..

nate