Re: linux migration

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 02:26:19PM +0800, jonas.weismuller@fmc-asia.com wrote:
> Our company is considering to migrate some Desktop PC??s to Linux. To
> rephrase: I have to prove how far the development of Linux is feasible in
> our company!
>
> I have a checklist about the programs which are used in our company. Most
> of the vendors of these programs don??t support Linux solutions/Clients
> (hopefully it will change as soon as possible). Therefore I am looking for
> alternatives by taking into account the compatibility to our existing
> programs, because we will not migrate all PC??s.
>
> I hope you can fill in my list. If this is no subject for this mailing
> list, please let me know or maybe you just prefer it to send it to my
> private email address, it would be nice! If you have already experienced
> alternative products playing/working with the common windows based
> products, please write down a mark between 1-6 (??1 ?C very well?? to ??6 -
> very bad??) in brackets behind the certain program and if u don??t mind with
> a short explanation of pros and cons, just insert with a comma and use a
> ??P:?? for pros and a ??C:?? for cons!
> For example: Alternative: openoffice(3,P:faster, more stable, C:" not
> compatible to Microsoft excel 2000 sheets), staroffice (2)
>

> Following the list of the programs my company used:
> MS Office 97/2002
> ------------------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives: openoffice(), star office()
> Comments:

koffice, corel WP for linux.

> MS Netmeeting
> ---------------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

Any other h.323 software?  Should be some out there.

> Power Archiver (Free compression tool)
> -------------------------------------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

gzip, bzip2, tar, zip/unzip, lha, etc.

> Irfan View
> ----------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

No idea what that is.

> Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw
> ----------------------------
> Linux version: No/yes (PhotoPaint)
> Alternatives: Gimp(), PhotoPaint()
> Comments:

I can't think of any others, except maybe xfig for some small items.

> Lotus Notes Domino 5
> ---------------------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

IBM very much supports Domino on Linux.  Check www.lotus.com.  Or just
do a google search for "linux lotus domino"

> SAP
> ----
> Linux version: mySAP
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

Don't even know what it is.

> Adobe Acrobat Reader
> Linux version: yes
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

xpdf, gv, gs

> And last but not least one question:
> If we come to the conclusion to migrate to Linux which Operating system
> would you choose for a Desktop solution and WHY !?!?

Sorry, I am too biased to answer that. :)  being an admin I will only
use Debian now.  Too lazy to deal with the frustrations of any other
packaging system.

> That??s it! Thanks a lot!
>
> If you find any mistakes in my listing your are welcome to correct ! ;-)

Not too many. :)

Lennart Sorensen