Re: Preparation for Debian Installation

Hi Harold,

You must live on another planet.

I have been using W'95 for 7 years now and am very comfortable with the
many packages on the machine.

But 3 years ago I decided I wanted to get away from the bullying and nasty
tactics of M$ and bought an augmented CD of ? the Slink distribution..

OK, There was quite a bit to do to make the machine dual-boot. But I did
that.

But after that?  Easy ??

Not at all.

The instructions are of immense size and seem disordered.

That horrible black screen is very off-putting and there seems no way to
make it more user-friendly.

Even with a small installation, it is like a huge maze trying to figure out what
packages to install and where they are. There's no clear way to work out
priorities; essential packages, etc. It's like trying to find a needle in a
haystack.

It's as if NOBODY has ever put themselves in the shoes of a newbie who
wants, for whatever reason, to use Debian, and designed & constructed a
start & install system from the viewpoint of a new user. The sheer
obtuseness and unfriendliness of Linux installations are a huge handicap to
the expansion of Linux usage

Three years later of intermittent trying (and no success) and it looks as
though I'm going to buy  another distribution, in order to get packages that
work with CDROM writers.

Brian