Re: wwwoffle as proxy server

On Sunday 14 July 2002 4:23 am Michael C Alonzo wrote:

> Good Day!=20
>
>         I have wwwoffle version 2.7b from Debian Sid. When I'm offline,
> i can easily point my browser to http://localhost:8080/ [1]  and it doesnt
> timeout, but when i go online(ppp connection), every request to
> wwwoffled results to connection timeout. i tried=20
>
>         -wwwoffle -online
>         -wwwoffle -status
>         -wwwoffle -fetch
>
>        - all of the above plus additional -c /path/to/wwwoffle.conf
>
> but still results to connection timout. below are the error messages
> that i'm getting whenever i issue those commands:
>
> wwwoffle[1502] Warning: Failed to connect socket to 'localhost' port
>         '8081' [Connection timed out].
> wwwoffle[1502] Fatal: Cannot open connection to wwwoffle server
>         localhost port 8081.
>
> is there something wrong with my config? any ideas on how to fix or what
> might be causing the problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> [1] my proxy setting for http and ftp points to localhost:8080.

Hi Michael

I don't use wwwoffle anymore, but I remember something similar when on
dial-up. I was using kppp at the time, which dynamically added/removed
entries to /etc/resolv.conf. The wwwoffle daemon needed the dns resolver
addresses when it started up, and as this was at bootup before going
on-line, it didn't pick the proper addresses once they were there. The
solution was to restart wwwoffled *after* going on-line (a pain) or add the
ISP DNS server addresses to /etc/resolv.conf permanently, so wwwoffled
could read them in when it started.

Of course this might be completely unrelated to your problem, in which case
sorry ;)

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net  jamaro@firstlinux.net  http://www.dbg400.net    /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open    \ /