Re: Gnome2 wm trials....

Mensaje citado por: Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca>:

> [...]
>
> ciber> So I will manually make it a link to gnome-session.......
>
> ciber> # rm x-session-manager
> ciber> # ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-session x-session-manager
>
> BTW, the canonical way of doing this is using the update-alternatives
> script.  "update-alternatives --config x-session-manager" will list
> the
> installed alternatives, and let you pick one.

Ya, you are right, that is the correct way. I learn something everyday.

> ciber> ..... restart session....
>
> How are you logging in/starting X? xdm? gdm? kdm? console?  When you
> restart the session, do you see the Gnome splash screen, or does it go
> straight to twm + xterm?  I'm thinking that you might be stuck in a
> failsafe session, or something like that.

     gdm

And I do get the Gnome splash screen, so it is doing a gnome-session, I think.
Especially since under twm it tries to start the panels, but when I place them
somewhere, they just disappaer. But then I switch to sawfish or metacity, and I
can them restart gnome-panel.

So far the most  reliable thing has been to rename twm and make a link to
metacity called twm.

I have got the x-session-manager correct now....

term106:/home# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

There are 2 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.

  Selection    Alternative
 +    1        /usr/bin/kde2
*     2        /usr/bin/gnome-session

Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
Using `/usr/bin/gnome-session' to provide `x-session-manager'.
term106:/home/terminal# ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 2002-07-13 21:17
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager -> /usr/bin/gnome-session
term106:/home#

http://www.celasmaya.edu.gt/