Re: Debian and APM

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:02:54PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
| On Friday 12 July 2002 14:05, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
| > On 11/07/02 Raffaele Sandrini did speaketh:

| > > How can i configure my system to do basic APM things like suspend the
| > > screen after 10 min and the HDD after 20 min etc.
| > >
| > > Naturally APM has to be enabled in the kernel :-)
| >
| >     apt-get install powermgmt-base hdparm
| >     man apm
| >     man hdparm

| I just recognized something...
|
| Could it be, that if i use ext3 i can't use HDD power save modes? Its because
| the committing of ext3. It commits every 5 seconds to the disk. So every 5
| second the HDD is accessed and so there is never a longer idle state...
| comments?

Correct.

Do you want (ext3) journalling, or do you want to spin down the drive?

I think reiser's journalling _might_ not have those issues with
activating the disk so often.

Also, starting and stopping the disk puts excessive mechanical stress
on it, and it can wear out faster that way.

-D

--
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/