Re: Migrating services from W2K box to Debian box

On 12 Jul 2002 11:21:43 -0500
"Alex Malinovich" <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:

> The biggest obstacle now is the central server that's running W2K
> Advanced Server. I've gotten apache and apache-ssl set up on my Debian,
> up until now, just mail server. (I'd like to use apache2 actually, but
> it doesn't provide apache and squirrelmail depends on apache.) I'd love
> to kill off IIS 5.0 on the W2K box, but I'm faced with a problem.
> Setting up port forwarding on the NAT router for ports 80 and 443 to the
> Debian box is quite easy and works like a charm for outside connections.
> However, when I try to connect from behind the router, it never gets
> called and the request goes to the W2K box instead.

Using iptables it is possible to have connections from internal machines
that are attempting to connect to the external ip on a port that is
forwarded redirected just as the external connections are.  I've added
support for this to my firewall script recently and would happily assist
you with this.

> Since the NAT services are going to be the last things to get migrated,
> installing ipmasq on the Debian box and just doing a "quick switch"
> isn't really an option for the time being. I'm figuring that there
> should be some form of DNS "trickery" that I can do to achieve the
> desired effect, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Here's my current
> setup:

Ahh, I see iptables is not a desirable choice at this time.

> The only idea that I have is perhaps somehow (don't know how :) putting
> an entry for www.the-love-shack.net into theloveshack.local DNS listing
> and have it point to the internal IP for Gandalf. Just putting in a
> www(.theloveshack.local, which is not what I want) entry is easy enough,
> but how do I put a DNS entry for a "foreign" domain into my local DNS
> domain? (Not from a Windows standpoint, just as far as DNS is
> concerned.) Or are there any other ways to go about this? TIA

This would work.  To effect the change, you would need to list another DNS
server (presumably the Debian box) with higher priority in the resolution
order on the clients and then simply create a bogus master domain entry on
the DNS server with the differnet IP addresses.

--
Jamin W. Collins