Re: Printing help

>>>>> "jennyw" == jennyw  <jennyw@dangerousideas.com> writes:

[...]

jennyw> I don't know if the cupsomatic install was necessary (I'm using
jennyw> an HP LJ 4L via the parallel port).  I also can't find
jennyw> documentation on it -- I'm assuming that CUPS just knows it's
jennyw> there?  I didn't see a lot of printer choices come up when I was
jennyw> using the Web interface to install the printer.  I kind of
jennyw> thought that from installing cupsomatic I'd see a list of more
jennyw> vendors!

cupsomatic probably wasn't necessary, because CUPS itself has support
for HP printers.  As for not having a lot of printer choices, I believe
that some file somewhere needs to be updated before the web interface
knows about the new drivers, and cupsomatic doesn't do the update.  I
get the same thing with gimp-print, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

You would still be able to use the command-line interface set it up.
All the drivers (PPD files, actually) would be in
/usr/share/cups/model/.

jennyw> I'm pretty sure libgimpprint1 is not necessary -- looking
jennyw> through the packages again, I probably need to apt-get install
jennyw> cupsys-driver-gimpprint in order to use gimp-print.  At this
jennyw> point, I'm not sure what advantage there would be to installing
jennyw> that. The description for the package says that it has good
jennyw> image quality, but I haven't noticed that not having it is
jennyw> making my printing output look bad.  Then again, I haven't
jennyw> printed much.  Any opinions on gimp-print with CUPS?

Yup, libgimpprint1 would only be used by gimp-print.  There is probably
no advantage for you to use it.  Probably the only difference you would
be able to see might be in dithering of grey levels.

jennyw> I don't think gs is being used right now because cupsys requires
jennyw> cupsys-pstoraster, which seems to be it's PostScript processor.

Yep, it looks like you're right.  Looking at
/usr/share/cups/mode/laserjet.ppd, the "*cupsFilter:" line suggests that
that driver takes a cups-raster input, and it then uses the rastertohp
program to convert it to PCL (which is what the printer understands).
I'm surprised that it doesn't use gs at all.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA