Re: Printing help

>>>>> "jennyw" == jennyw  <jennyw@dangerousideas.com> writes:

jennyw> I've been looking at past posts on printing and I've been
jennyw> reading linuxprinting.org and I'm still kind of confused.
jennyw> Mostly what I want is to be able to print the programs I use,
jennyw> like OpenOffice, mutt, and plain text files.  I never realized
jennyw> it could be such a challenge ...

It is unfortunately very hard to set up printing properly.  The upside
is that the printing system is very flexible (which, unfortunately,
means nothing to the average home user).

jennyw> First of all, I'm not sure how printing works.  The basic
jennyw> understanding I have is that most applications either generate
jennyw> plain text or postscript and put it into the print spool.
jennyw> Applications print to the print spool by piping output to a
jennyw> command.  This command (lpr is the one I've seen) is provided by
jennyw> the printing system, whether it's CUPS, LPD, or PDQ.  Once it
jennyw> gets to the printing system, they then pass this to Ghostscript
jennyw> if it's postscript.  Then stuff goes back to the printing system
jennyw> where it figures out the native way to talk to the printer (or
jennyw> passes it to gimp-print?).  Am I even close here?  I would like
jennyw> to understand this, but mostly I want to print.

Mostly right.  Just incorrect in some details, but the overall picture
is there.  The output from the application does not have to be plain
text or postscript, though those are the most common.  An intelligent
spooler, or a spooler with an intelligent output filter, will be able to
handle many different types of files.  The default CUPS setup seems to
also be able to handle PDF, HPGL, and various image formats.

lpr is probably the most common command for sending files to the printer
(but there are different implementations of lpr -- they should all work
about the same).  lp is probably the second.  Beyond that, there isn't
really much -- most software will use one or the other -- but I'm sure
someone out there has hacked his/her own program.

Ghostscript is often used as a final step before the printer, but is (of
course) not necessary if the printer understands PostScript natively.
The file may also go through a bunch of filtering inside the printing
system, to massage it into a format the printer (or Ghostscript) can
understand.

jennyw> I tried installing cupsys, cupsomatic, cupsys-bsd, and the
jennyw> packages that they depend on.  I was able to connect to
jennyw> localhost:631 and setup an HP LJ on my parallel port. When I try
jennyw> printing a test page, though, it doesn't work, though.

Can you give us any more information than "it doesn't work"?  e.g. Is
the printer printing garbage, or not printing anything?  Does it look
like any data is being sent to the printer?  Do you get any error
messages?  Could you post the contents of /etc/cups/printers.conf?
(You'll have to read it as root, but there's nothing terribly secret in
that file.)  What does running "lpstat" say?

Also, you didn't say what version of Debian you're using.  Am I correct
in assuming you're using the latest stable?  (latest stable is version
2.2, a.k.a. "potato" -- "cat /etc/debian_version" if you're unsure.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA