Re: MUTT persists

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:46:27PM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
| I've received some great Mutt suggestions, it'll take a bit to work
| through them.  I'm a bit confused about the MTA business,

Ok, hopefully this will help clear it up.

| given that balsa (which I understands also uses it) works,

Balsa doesn't use same interface to the MTA that mutt uses.  Balsa
(sorta) speaks SMTP directly.  It sets the envelope itself, and has
permission to do so (indirectly since, pedantically, it violates the
standards).

| and Mutt does not.

mutt uses a different interface than balsa, and one which (by default)
is not allowed to transparently tamper with the envelope.  The MTA
itself will fill in the envelope sender since it knows which user
invoked it and handed it the message.  As Grant mentioned at one
point, though, that default behavior tends to work best (out-of-the
box) on a "real" internet site.  However, the default exim
configuration on debian provides a convenient way for you to adjust
the envelope sender on a per-user basis (/etc/email-addresses).

| Wouldn't that point a finger at Mutt?

That is a logical conclusion from the statements you made.  However
the error occurred bewteen exim and yahoo's SMTP server, which means
mutt isn't part of the picture then.  (and I happen to have recognized
what caused the error and what config to correct it :-))

HTH,
-D

--

If Microsoft would build a car...
... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/