Re: hdparm test on Adaptec 2005S raid5

<quote who="Patrick Hsieh">
> Hello all,
>
> I've a woody running with Adaptec 2005S raid controller and 3 10000rpm
> 18G SCSI HD. I use hdparm -t to test the transfer speed and the result is
> only 9MB/s.  Is it normal? I use software raid with 2 SCSI HD of the same
> model and the result is around 33MB/s.

i think its better to use a tool like bonnie++ which tests filesystem
performance. for one, hdparm is aimed towards IDE drives, and secondary
at least to me the speed of the underlying hardware doesn't matter, what
matters(to me) is what matters at the top level(filesystem).

filesystem tests like bonnie++ should give more realistic results too.

I would expect 3 x 10k rpm drives to be able to pull at least 60megs/second
at a minimum on a hardware raid5 array(what the Adaptec 2005S seems
to be?)

running bonnie++ on a 3-disk 10k(or 15?) raid5(software) array
on suse8 (the only system that i have raid5 on linux, the rest are
raid1 or raid10) connected to an ultra160 adaptec controller
gives me ...(3 x ST39204LW)

roughly 54MB/s of block reads with 20% cpu and 53MB/s of block writes
with 37% cpu(reading/writing 1GB of data, 512MB ram, reiserfs, 2.4.18)

(bonnie gives many stats, thats just one reading ..)

my new ide raid1 system at home does pretty good too ...
(results are probably skewed a bit since I am running X and mozilla and xmms
and a bunch of processes):

about 30MB/s of block reads with 49% cpu and 20MB/s of block writes with
14% cpu (reading/writing 2GB of data, 1GB ram, ext2, 2.2.19)

my ide drives have 8mb of cache so they are pretty fast ..

nate