Re: Weird message: "Suddenly the dungeon collapses. You die."

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:40:57PM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen this message before? Is it an indication that my
> computer has been compromised?
> The scenario when I saw this message:
> I was doing a few things at once. I was running GNOME and had a terminal
> window open with an ssh session to a screen session on another computer.
> I also had Galeon open and was just starting to get CUPS working.
> Suddenly, I noticed that my video was very funny. Lines were appearing on
> the monitor like there was some weird redraw problem.  Then I noticed the
> shell window -- it said "Suddenly the dungeon collapses! You die." or
> something very similar.

That's what screen prints when the master screen process it's attaching
to dies. Offhand I wouldn't be inclined to say that it's a sign that
either computer has been compromised, but of course I wouldn't like to
state that for certain!

It sounds like a fairly random pair of glitches to me - speculating
wildly, perhaps some kind of electrical problem in the area?