Re: two CST timezones

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 05:27:48AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

| >> date -R
|
| A> If you would like to use the same format, you can use
| A> $ date +"%a %b %d %T %z %Y"
| A> Thu Jul 11 03:18:55 +0800 2002
|
| I told you 13 times that I'm trying to make every single date on my
| machine never say "CST" again, not just in some shell script that I am
| writing.  And I wish to achieve this thru one command.

This is trivial to prove impossible.  Install the following program :

#!/bin/sh
date +"%a %b %d %T CST %Y"

There is nothing you can do, short of fixing the bad code, to make it
display a different timezone.

Being familiar with UNIX, (and computers at all) you should know that
there is almost never a single global command by which you can
reconfigure the behavior of _every_ program.

One thing you should notice is that the numeric offsets are required
in RFC (2)822 compliant mail headers.  The only place a named timezone
can occur is in comment text, but any random text can occur there.  At
least as far as mail is concerned, you won't see "CST" again.  (check
the headers of your message and see what I mean)

| Wait, ever since I reluctantly used "GMT-8" in tzconfig,
| /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode.el
| has made the bottom of my web pages say "+0800" instead of "CST".
| So even though plain
| $ date
| says GMT-8 (Oh great, sounds like a winter day in California), some
| things are improving for me.

The best you can to is use 'tzconfig' or 'tzselect' to tell your
system what time zone it is in.  Then you need to rely on each program
that displays a time to display it correctly.  If it doesn't display
it how you want, then either RTFM and configure it to display in the
format you want, or file a bug if it really is a bug.

HTH,
-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,