Re: getting sound started

This one time, at band camp, Matt Price said:
> Hey there ewveryone,
>
> well, I did as Seneca suggested, but sndconfig doesn't seem to work for
> me.  I think maybe it keeps looking for an obsolete module called
> sound-s\lot-0 -- anyway, I don't seem to have that module in the kernel
> source for my kernel (2.4.18).  In any case, I tried modprobe
> via82cxxx_audio and didn't have any luck.  If thel inux sound drivers
> don't support my card, do you think alsa might?  or free oss?
>
> anyway, still hoping htis might work out.  thanks,
> matt
sound-slot-0 and other things like that are a sort of generic name that
many applications use to acces your hardware, not the kernel level
interface or module name.

What happens when you modprobe via82cxxx_audio?  Do you get errors, or
do you get no feedback at all?  If you don't get error messages back,
that's a good thing - Linux is fairly terse, and no news is good news.

As for sound-slot-0 and whatnot, you need to associate them with a
module (after you figure out which module (^8 ) by making a file under
/etc/modutils (I usually name it after the module I am working with, or
the type of thing, e.g., sound, video, whatever) like this:
steve:~$ cat /etc/modutils/cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
alias sound-slot-1 cs4232
alias sound-service-0-0 cs4232
alias sound-service-1-0 cs4232
alias sound-service-0-3 cs4232

If you watch /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog, it will usually
complain "Can't find service xxxx" which you can then alias as above.
Just remember to run update-modules as root afterwards.

HTH,
Steve
--
Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.