Re: getting sound started

Hi everyone,

welll...  I did lspci -vv my system, and got a positive response on the
audio card:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 40)
        Subsystem: Avance Logic Inc.: Unknown device 4720
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

But I confess I'm not sure where to go from here.  Alsa doesn't seem to
support this card (unless I'm mistaken); and in any event alsa-base
wouldn't install with dpkg (couldn't find the snd module, it said).
I've installed the ac97 modules in the kernel, but haven't tried a major
recompile for fear of screwing up my already-delicate system.  Any
hints?  thanks loads,
matt