Re: Mutt questions

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:13:48PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> Perhaps in 1985 when you were running a VAX 11/780 attached to
>> a backbone those assumptions made sense.  These days they
>> don't. All of my machines are behind firewalls and none of my
>> machines have hostnames that mean anything to anybody outside
>> the firewall.  My laptop doesn't even always have the same
>> hostname from one day to the next.
>>
>> Despite both these situations being quite common, none of the
>> MTAs I've tried (Exim, Qmail, Sendmail) deal with either
>> situation well.
>
> Exim's rewrite support works perfectly for me, although of course your
> mileage may vary. See /etc/email-addresses in the default Debian
> configuration.

I agree that Exim does handle it better than the others.  Qmail
and Sendmail will also work, but the documentation on the
various "hostname" configuration bits is a little vague and
requires a fair bit of trail and error.  Qmail, for example,
wants to know "your hostname" but the documentation doesn't say
in what context the hostname is going to be used.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  This MUST be a good
                                  at               party -- My RIB CAGE is