Re: Mutt questions

In muc.lists.debian.user, you wrote:

>> An MUA like Mutt needs an SMTP server to send mail, so I use
>> Exim. Exim mostly works right out-of-the-box, it only needs
>> your SMTP address.
>
> Isn't my SMTP address different on each dialup?

Maybe. Depends on what "SMTP address" means.

> How does Mutt come by that address?  I can provide the name of
> the server, my my connect address is always different.

Most MTA were designed with the assumption that the host upon
which they're running has a name that

 1) Doesn't change from day to day.
 2) Means something to the outside world.

Perhaps in 1985 when you were running a VAX 11/780 attached to
a backbone those assumptions made sense.  These days they
don't. All of my machines are behind firewalls and none of my
machines have hostnames that mean anything to anybody outside
the firewall.  My laptop doesn't even always have the same
hostname from one day to the next.

Despite both these situations being quite common, none of the
MTAs I've tried (Exim, Qmail, Sendmail) deal with either
situation well.  They all want to assume that the local
hostname is somehow significant to e-mail and should be used
while talking to the outside world.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why was I BORN?
                                  at