apt-cdrom and Debian CDs and no joy . . . . :-(

I have installed debian 2.2r6 using the iso cd-rom
images from the debian.uchicago.edu mirror.

I have a Toshiba XM6201 A  SCSI CD-ROM and Seagate
SCSI HD
The system is an Asus P2L97-DS with 2 PII-300 CPUs and
192 mb of RAM

I booted off the CD-ROM using Disk 1 and the install
went fine until it tried to configure the Debian CD as
a source for packages.  It was trying to run

apt-cdrom add

which was successfully umounting and mounting the
CD-ROM of the /cdrom mount point.  It found the CD,
scanned it for the ID, and asked me to name it.  I
typed in a name, it appears to accept the name just
fine, and then it says that it's not a Debian CD and
asks me to insert a Debian CD.

The system is booting from the HD with no problems.  I
can log in as root and traverse the CD-ROM just fine,
and change directories, open docs, etc. without any
problems.

But when I run

apt-cdrom add

the same thing happens.  I've changed the filesystem
type in /etc/fstab to auto from iso9660, but that
didn't have any effect.

The installation manual on the debian.org site tells
you not to edit apt's sources.list manually for CDs,
but I gotta believe that if I copied the cd to the HD
and put in the appropriate deb file:// entry, I would
have no problem finding the packages . . . .

And ideas?

What makes a Debian CD a Debian CD?

TIA

madmac