Can't mount cdrom: no such device /dev/hdc

 I am using unstable. Just this morning, I couldn't mount my
 cdrom ( mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom -o ro); I got
 the error message, no such device /dev/hdc.

 The file hdc exist under /dev.

 I looked around in /etc/fstab and there was a line

 /dev/cdrom   /cdrom    iso9660, defaults,.....

 and /dev/cdrom was linked to /dev/hda which was my hard drive. So
 I omitted this line, and rebooted, but it make no difference.

 Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

 Sebastian Canagaratna
Sebastian Canagaratna
Department of Chemistry