Re: dselect in sid

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 04:21, ben wrote:
> > After a recent 'apt-get upgrade' on a sid system my dselect
> > appears to be broken :( I get the following error message
> > when attempting to do an update
> >
> >  unable to access method script `/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/setup':
> >  No such file or directory
--snip--
> from the apt-get man page:
>
>  	upgrade is used to install the newest  versions  of
>               all packages currently installed on the system from
>               the sources  enumerated  in  /etc/apt/sources.list.
>               Packages  currently  installed  with  new  versions
>               available are retrieved and upgraded; under no cir­
>               cumstances   are   currently   installed   packages
>               removed,  or   packages   not   already   installed
>               retrieved  and installed. New versions of currently
>               installed packages that cannot be upgraded  without
>               changing the install status of another package will
>               be left at their current version. An update must be
>               performed first so that apt-get knows that new ver­
>               sions of packages are available.
>
> the last sentence above matters: you need to apt-get update before any
> upgrade. the more important point is the upgrade should not have removed
> anything without giving you proper notification. have you just upgraded to
> sid? if so, you should have first upgraded the apt and dpkg tools. it would
> probably aid the solution process if you could precisely describe the order
> of events that preceded getting that error. it sounds like a bug, but a bug
> in what?

It's a documented bug. I filed a bug report about it earlier today only
to find that it's already been submitted a number of times. The actual
deb for dpkg 1.10.2 is broken. Check bugs 152137 and 152539 for more
info. The "cleanest" way to fix the problem is just to get an older
version of dpkg and install it and then hold dpkg until it gets
resolved.

-Alex