Re: ??Woody Support for S3 Inc. Unknown device 8c2e (rev 05) VGA?

Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:

The savage driver didnt work for the Trio line.  I had to drop to 3.3.6.

I have been using the generic driver xserver-xfree86 ever since I upgraded to 4.1 with no trouble.

The following from my system:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c368 [Trio 3D/2X] (rev 01)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System

This from apt-cache show xserver-xfree86

The XFree86 X server is an X server for several architectures and operating
systems; its architecture was completely redesigned for the 4.0 release, and
features a loadable module system in which required modules are loaded on
demand by a single server binary as opposed to the video card-specific X
servers of the 3.x release.
.
The XFree86 server supports most modern graphics hardware from most vendors,
and supersedes most version 3.x XFree86 X servers.  See
<http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.3/Status.html> for information on its support for
your particular hardware.

Paul Scott