ssh mysteriously failing to forward X

Hi all.

We have a growing number of Debian machines which are ceasing to forward
X11 connections.  X forwarding is on in sshd_config ("X11Forwarding yes"
in sshdconfig), and I'm not seeing any errors; here's an excerpt from
'ssh -vX <hostname>':

debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method password
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: channel request 0: pty-req
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
Last login: Wed Jul 10 11:34:25 2002 from wicked.uchicago.edu

Looks to me as though the X forward request went through, and nobody
refused to forward or otherwise complained, but:

$ echo $DISPLAY

$

These machines used to work; I wonder if a recent version of OpenSSH is
causing the trouble?  At any rate I don't know what to do next,
everything I look at seems to say that X /should/ be working, but
clearly it's not.

So far all of the machines with this problem are Potato; Woody machines
work fine.

Any thoughts?  Thanks,
-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that