Re: Evaluating MTA's

At 11:33 AM 7/10/2002 -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> some like qmail, which i really don't like since it seems to be
> hardly maintained anymore,

And on what do you base this?  Is it because there isn't a new version
frequently?

Qmail 1.04 will be released some day however you only need to patch version 1.03 if you need it to do something it wasn't designed to do (by DJB).

> takes patches to even compile on modern systems

Such as?  I've installed it very recently with no patches.

> and is not available in binary format with debian due
> to licensing(or something).

It's available in source only, not binary only.

Qmail is distributable in binary form if you do NOT modify the source code before building it. The problem is Debian (standards) do not like where the Qmail stuff goes. Modifying the source (Makefile/etc...) to put things where Debian wants them is considered modifying the source. If this problem could be overcome, Qmail would fit nicely in "non-free" as an alternative MTA to the others exim/sendmail/postfix/etc...

It's an issue that has DJB and Debian on opposite sides of the fence. To solve this issue, there are debian .deb files for qmail available for potato and woody. It puts the stuff where Debian wants them and puts compatibility symlinks where everything Qmail looks for things. I have been using them for a long time now with absolutely NO problems. I also use the packages for tinydns. These packages are in the "unofficial" section of an apt-get'able archive referenced on www.qmail.org http://smarden.org/pape

Loren

> also last i looked it did not include
> controls on incoming email. so if system load got to 40 or 50 qmail
> would still happily accept and queue email, and just make the
> load higher.
<<<SNIP>>>