Re: Digital Cameras

Hi Rob,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002, Rob Ransbottom wrote:
> I am interested in getting a digital camera to put
> some pictures on some websites.  I'd like a completely
> Debian based solution.  (I expect to move to woody soon.)
>
> The Sony CD Mavica MVC-CD250 is appealing because
> it seems that I can read the pictures on any
> /dev/cdrom.  This is correct, I'm sure, but are
> there gotcha's?
>
> I like the Nikon Coolpix 2500 because of the swivel
> lens.  The Nikon uses Compactflash.  I don't know
> about getting the pictures out of the camera or
> cf card into Linux.

I believe cf is very similar to pcmcia (i think only differences are
physical), and though I have built-in cf slot on my thinkpad x22 running
woody, I've never tried it.

google groups has religious wars over cf versus the sony stick media.  I
think I'd prefer the cf stuff, if you care.

> I don't know about the file/filesystem/cdrom formats
> or communications cables/protocols that digital cameras use.
>
> Any success stories or pointers to pertinent info
> appreciated.

See gphoto.org for good software.

Take care,
Daniel

> rob                     Live the dream.
>

> --

Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics
Department of Physics
Cornell University