Re: [Disaster Recovery] Can I do something like One Button Disaster Recovery?

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Simon Tneoh Chee-Boon wrote:

> What I plan to do is:
> 1) Setup the server for OS and applications.
> 2) Have a full-backup of the server, including server's configuration,
> applications and etc, into a tape.
> 3) Backup the data daily into tape.
>     If the harddisk crash, I'll put in a new harddisk, restore the OS
> and applications from tape.
> And restore the data from the daily backup tape.
>     Can I do like what I plan above? i.e. a fresh new blank harddisk,
> with some Debian installation
> floppy disk and restore from the backup tape.
>     Where can I find related information about this?
>      Thanks.

Yes you can.  This is the preferred approach for
"serious" machines.

The weakness in your plan is that you are anticipating a specific
kind of failure.  Some other failure may show the flaws of
your backup system.

Often the system files & user data are not differentiated in
a backup program, doing such differentiation is a process subject
to error.

What if your tape drive dies?

How fast do you need to recover?

Do you know your tapes are readable on another drive?
Do you know your tapes are readable at all?

What if your whole machine needs replacing?  Drivers?
( I think of the Promise boot disks versus normal set.)

If you don't actually trash your partitions and do a
restore, you only hope you have a working backup & restore
system.

The best treatment of the subject seems to be
_Unix_Backup_&_Recovery_ by W. Curtis Preston from O'Reilly.
IBM released a book many years ago.  Sys Admin, Linux Journal, and
Linux Magazine probably all have had articles on backups in the
last couple of years.

Books like _Unix_System_Administration_Handbook_ by Nemeth and others
don't give much info.  Most of the linux books _Running_Linux_,
_Linux_System_Administration_, give no info pertinent to recovery
from a bare machine with time constraints.

rob                     Live the dream.