Re: [Disaster Recovery] Can I do something like One Button Disaster

<quote who="Simon Tneoh Chee-Boon">
> Hello all,
>    Thanks in advance for any helps.
> What I plan to do is:
> 1) Setup the server for OS and applications.
> 2) Have a full-backup of the server, including server's configuration,
> applications and etc, into a tape.
> 3) Backup the data daily into tape.
>    If the harddisk crash, I'll put in a new harddisk, restore the OS
> and applications from tape.
> And restore the data from the daily backup tape.
>    Can I do like what I plan above? i.e. a fresh new blank harddisk,
> with some Debian installation
> floppy disk and restore from the backup tape.
>    Where can I find related information about this?
>     Thanks.

while there are other ways to do this possibly, a more convinent
way may be to use a product like this:

http://www.tolisgroup.com/qsdr3.html

i have not tried this specific product, but I use BRU which is
from the same company and its great, and ive had a lot of dealings
with their support on their newer product bru pro, and while bru
pro 1.0 didn't meet my expectations their support was great.

i don't do this kind of backups on my systems, i backup the config
stuff, and reinstall when a system crashes then restore specific
files as i need them.

i would reccomend raid1 or raid1 with hotspare, with a 3 disk array,
all 3 disks would have to fail before you lost data. or do a 4 disk
array ..that way all 4 disks have to fail before you lose data.

nate