Re: Reinstalling packages

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:04:52PM +0200, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any way I could tell apt-get to reinstall
> all already installed packages of a kind (base, for example) with one
> single command (or script).

You could install grep-dctrl and use that to pick out the package names,
then pass those to 'apt-get --reinstall install'.

> About this problem with my PC.. I think it's weird thing.. One day I
> was using my PC like a normal day but suddenly I started getting error
> messages each time I tried to do anything.  I tried restarting and
> while it shut down all my processes I kept getting messages saying
> "Read-only file system" (my only partition is root so It shouldn't be
> read-only).

The root filesystem will be remounted read-only if it encountered
errors, which frequently indicate a dying hard disk. Check the output of
'dmesg' for the errors; you should back up any important data as soon as
possible, and if you're seeing things like UnrecoverableError then
seriously consider getting a new disk.

One of the Debian fortune entries is appropriate here ...

<Overfiend> Thunder-: when you get { MessagesLikeThisFromYourHardDrive }
<Overfiend> Thunder-: it either means { TheDriverIsScrewy }
<Overfiend> or
<Overfiend> { YourDriveIsFlakingOut BackUpYourDataBeforeIt'sTooLate
            PrayToGod }