usb-storage and ORB castlewood zip drive

I was unable to write a 71MB tar gzipped file to an ORB disc with a vfat
filesystem. On umount, and remount, gunzip would find

invalid compressed data--crc error
invalid compressed data--length error

I did this many times.  On certain tries, the error messages indicated a
premature EOF, which would lead to the gunzip error.

I tried doing 'sync's before umount. Did not help.

This happened also on a smaller tar gzipped file of about 43MB. I did not
exhaustively test to find out whether it is a file size problem.

In addition, I also wrote the 71MB tar.gz file to a mounted Windows 2K drive.
I could gunzip and untar it fine.  Then I booted into Windows 2K, and wrote
the file out to the ORB drive. Then I booted back into Linux (2.4.7), and got
the same problem as above.

I also put a ext2 filesystem on the ORB drive, and still had the same
problem.

My conclusion is that it is the ORB drive that has the problem. I did a
search to see whether usb-storage has any problem with certain zip drives. I
found only one somewhat related reference in early 2000, for Linux 2.4.0. So
it is possible that the ORB drive has a known bug.

I am looking for a confirmation that the ORB Castlewood has problems.

Elaine