Repost: help configuring nut for Belkin UPS?

Greetings, all.

I first posted this about a week ago, with no responses, so I thought
I'd try again.

I recently purchased a Belkin UPS: Universal UPS 800VA, model#
F6C800-UNV.  I've hooked it up to my Woody machine, using the included
RS-232 cable.

The UPS comes with its own administration/monitorign software for Linux,
but it's binary only, and it includes a daemon that has to run as root.
I'd prefer not to trust that, so I was hoping to use nut or another of
the Debian packages to accomplish the same goals.  I followed the
instructions in the README and added the following to
/etc/nut/upsd.conf:

    UPS belkin /var/lib/nut/belkin-ttys1 belkin /dev/ttyS1

as well as the necessary stuff to get upsmon to work correctly.  I also
tweaked teh device files to give /dev/ttyS1 the correct permissions.

To test, I ran upsmon -c fsd, and the system shortly started to shut
itself down, as expected.  However, when the shutdown is complete, it
tries to signal the UPS over the serial cable to shut off; this fails.
It complains about errors reading from the serial ports and a number of
timeouts; it eventually gives up and shuts the machine down without
bothering the UPS.

Has anybody had success with this model of UPS and one of the
UPS-monitoring programs available in woody?  Or do I need to fall back
on Belkin's program?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Richard