smp, debian and me

Hey Gang,

	This is not intended to be a hot thread. :--) Which means I'll likely get
deludged in mails.

	I have a fairly nice machine that I would like to optimize for MAXIMUM
performance.

dual i686 (p3's) 750
tyan thunderchicken mb
512 ram
dual 18 gig lvd scsi (wd & seagate)
eepro
es1371
internal scsi 2 gig jazz
internal ide zip
floppy
gforce2 mx (32 meg)

	At one time I was playing with a distro called sorcery under vmware, which
was a nice thought. In that I mean that all the packages downloaded (cast)
were compiled for the machine that cast the spell. Therefore, everything was
optimized very very nicely for whatever machine they were built on. I found
that (damnit!) sorcery under vmware in SID actually outran Debian native.
:--\  Which, being a Debianite, annoyed the beejezus outta me.

	Subsequently, I've been following the threads concerning pulling down the
sources (apt-get -b source {package}) and building my own packages to insure
that all of my existing software has the ability of using SMP support.

	My questions are:

1.	Do I need to wipe and start over (fresh install)?
	if yes
		how far do i go on the install (cds) before i begin using source?
	if no
		what packages should I begin 'replacing' first? (for ease of upgrade)

2.	How can I tell the software (via apt) that I want to use SMP?(makefile(s)?)
		(in sorcery there was one file built eary in the install that held all of
		the pertainant info)

3.	What is the best recommended way to do this? (or is there one?)

	I'm not a newbie to Debian by any means, but I'm not completely comfortable
compiling my own sources. Mainly just due to being lazy (and loving debian)
up to this point. But, I've found that the more packages that I have that use
the full power of the multi-processors, the faster the machine runs. (i'm a
guy! i love having more power!)

	Well, this feels as though my next paragraph will be nothing but rambling
and ranting about debian, so I'll shut up until the replys start coming in.
:--)

	Thanks All!

	The GrizzledOne

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930