Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

(sorry i don't have the original message so i am replying
to this one but actually replying to the original poster)

> Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Well, my conclusion about Debian's highly touted package
\
> > Anyway, my dream is: if something is unreachable, assume
> > I am offline...  I mean I need a HOWTO for users with a 2
> > month old CD set, 28 to ~40K modem speed costly brief
> > connection, who only want 5% of the upgrades, and I
> > suppose only want to "update" once every two weeks. And
> > in the mean time just browse a list of what's new.

I don't know about others, but these days I can't imagine
using a computer for more then a few minutes without net access.

if  it works, don't upgrade it. I mean, just get the major
revisions 2.2r1 ..2.2r2 ..2.2r3 as they come out ..if your
not connected to the net then there is very little to worry
about when it comes to security in most cases. and what
other reason is there to upgrade? if it works, don't fix it.
if it doesn't work ..why are you using it in the first place?

I for one am thankful debian's system can be easily automated.
e.g. you can make a script to dial the modem, do
apt-get update ; apt-get -d upgrade then disconnect in the
middle of the night. then when YOU get around to it, login
and do apt-get upgrade, and install the packages that were
previously downloaded(I never do unattented apt-get's)

..compare to something like MS win or
even Suse 8 which i bought recently, both involve a manual
process of launching a program, telling it to download(via a
'GUI') and having to wait until its done before you can
disconnect. even worse in MS's case at least as far as
win2000 goes you many times have to download a update,
install, reboot, download another, install, reboot etc. at
least with SuSE as well as debian it downloads everything
at once and installs it in order.

I have to admit I have never been in the situation you
seem to be in where you can only apparently connect to
the internet once every 2 weeks. ever since I first
started using a modem back in 1994(before i was aware
of the net i was on BBSs), i was online constantly. when
I moved back to the U.S.(from asia), i would routinely
leave my system connected 24/7 for days or even a week
at a time(got kicked off many isps because of it).

my best advice is DON'T UPGRADE. if it works, DON'T UPGRADE.
I have t1s and high speed dsl and I upgrade usually at MOST
once a month. Mostly out of fear that what I download will
break the existing system, more then using bandwidth. the
exception would be security update, in which case i may
upgrade more often then that depending if I use the package
in question.

all of my systems are networked and as a result are more exposed
to security problems which is why I do the upgrades in the
first place. if they were not networked, to hell with it i'd
upgrade whenever a new major revision came out. why go through
the trouble if it works.

i still have many systems that run redhat 6.0 and 6.1 that
haven't had a single patch in 2 years at my company. of course
i absolved myself of any responsibility of those machines
a long time ago. yet they run 24/7 day in and day out

you dont have to upgrade every 2 weeks to keep a system running.

nate