Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 05:28:55 +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

>Well, my conclusion about Debian's highly touted package management
>system in regards to mostly offline modem users is: being that those
>working in the Debian Towers all have snazzy net connections, at least
>certainly those working on the elite apt team, they'll never know the
>frustrations incurred by those who's items in /etc/apt/sources.list
>are not all necessarily on line, and also have a woody CDROM set.
<snip>

Oh, fer christ's sake.  There are "names" on his list who use dial up
connections.  So what's the problem?  You have a reasonably up-to-date
CDROM set--install your packages from that.  If you just must have the
latest and greatest foopak, bite the bullet, pay the bill, and download.
I remember less than 10 years ago paying $6.00USD/hour for my 2400 baud
connection.  If that's all you've got, that's what you do.  Either that,
or carry your box down the mountain, borrow a high-speed connection, and
fire it up.

If it weren't Debian and apt, how would you do it?

OK, I'm off my high horse now.  It's just that you sound computer and
Linux literate;  so I just don't understand your many rants.
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---