Re: local package building

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 05:03:04PM -0700, David Wright wrote:

| > another option is to put the package on hold. i do this with
| > my packages that i build myself that way they are NEVER upgraded
| > unless i specifically tell apt-get to do it, because if they
|
| The trouble with this, admitedly more straitforward, solution, is that I
| don't find out when the maintainer has issued a new package. The package
| is on the "held back" line whether the maintainer has a new version out or
| not.

I don't see messages about "held back" packages, except when a new
version is available.  Maybe having the same version number has
something to do with it (since woody's "preferences" will choose some
repository as preferred over the local system).

| With my prefered solution (making my own -7.1 out of the maintainer's -7),
| apt-get doesn't bother me about the package at all until the maintainer
| upgrades (at which point I can make my own -8.1 out of his -8).

Right.  Here's what I do :

$ apt-get source package
$ cd package-<version>
$ vim debian/changelog
    put a new entry at the top and bump the version number
$ fakeroot ./debian/rules binary
$ su root -c 'dpkg -i ../package_<version>.1_i386.deb ; echo "package hold" | dpkg --set-selections '

I bump the version _and_ "hold" it so that I can't overlook an upgrade
later.

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/