bsdmainutils had post-installation error

Hi,

I've upgraded several of my friends' computers from slink to woody
from cd's, but with the last one suddenly I had problems with
bsdmainutils.  First, for a long time there was a message that the
pre-configure script returned exit status 1.  Then, after I installed
locales (which for some reason wasn't installed yet), I only got the
following message:

    Setting up bsdmainutils (5.20020211-4) ...
    dpkg: error processing bsdmainutils (--configure):
     bsdmainutils

A purge and reinstall doesn't help.  Maybe related, Galeon gives a warning:

    Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

whereas I don't get this message at home.  If this is related, it
might help to know that the output of `locale' is

    LANG=C
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_COLLATE="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES="C"
    LC_PAPER="C"
    LC_NAME="C"
    LC_ADDRESS="C"
    LC_TELEPHONE="C"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
    LC_ALL=

I should note that my friend is perfectly happy, because cal, from,
etc., work fine (and I installed openoffice, which was appreciated
even more), but I think it is strange that I get these errors suddenly
and I would like to know why.  Does anyone have any idea?

Richard