Re: Ximian Gnome

Jan,

I've just gone through a painful process of taking a potato+ximian box to (pure) woody and trying to
get rid of Ximian Gnome in the process. It was not simple and because of the way Ximian had numbered
some versions, even newer versions within woody wouldn't install without some forcing. I still have
some way to go.

I would recommend going with Woody's Gnome.

By the way, this is not Ximian-bashing. They have upped the ante considerably for the Linux desktop
with Evolution but maybe their Gnome project is superfluous now.

Liam

On 6 Jul 2002 at 23:54, Jan Fischer wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 21:59, Mark Roach wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 14:48, Jan Fischer wrote:
> > > i just installes libranet and upgraded to testing. now i was
> > > searching for an apt source for ximian desktop, but on their site
> > > they just offer deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable
> > > main which does not seem to work properly on my system (sounds
> > > like potato) has anyone a woody source for that?
> > It looks like woody's gnome packages are at least as up to date as
> > ximian's. Is there something specific that the ximian gnome has that
> > isn't in woody?
>
> i don't think so. i just thought ximian's packages were more up to
> date :)
>

> > The other option is ximian's ftp site
> > ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/ximian-gnome/debian-woody-i386/
>
> thanx
> jan
>
> > --
> >

> --