Re: Linux-based editor for PowerPoint presentations?

on Sun, Jul 07, 2002, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 10:26:10AM -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> > I need to make a set of slides for playback at a conference on a
> > Windows machine -- ideally I'd use something that can generate a MS
> > PowerPoint compatible file.  Any suggestions?  I took a look at
> > KPresenter, but it doesn't look like it can save in the PowerPoint
> > format.
>
> Check out openoffice.  You may need to add this to your sources.list...

My experience with OOo and PowerPoint is that you've got compatibility,
but not equivalence.  What would be most helpful from OOo is a
standalone viewwer (PPT has this IIRC).

You can probably *display* your OOo generated presentation under PPT.
You're probably *not* going to get a perfect rendering.

I'd personally lean toward an HTML presentation.  Both GNU/Linux and
Legacy MS Windows browsers support full-screen mode.  All you need to
add is navigation buttons.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/