Re: Enabling More Consoles... (tty)

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Leonardo Custodio wrote:

> How can i enable/disable more tty connections rather then the 6 that
> my machine does?  Since i access them by Ctrl + F(x), how would it be
> done if i create, say, 100 ttys? What would be the effect of creating
> 1000 ttys? (besides insanity...) :)

Read manpages for init(8) and inittab(5), also possibly getty(8).
Essentially, you add more entries at the end of the "/sbin/getty
invocations for the runlevels" section of /etc/inittab.

You can also use openvt, chvt, and closevt to directly manipulate them
from the command line. That appears to be available in the console-tools
package (and also in a kbd package? huh?). Great for screwing with
co-workers. ;)

And, from looking through /dev, it appears there's a limit of 64 ttys.
You might be able to change that in the kernel configuration, I'm not
sure. I don't even know how to get to any past the second twelve. <grin>

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           :      Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul.
ahall@vitaphone.net  :      I wanna get lost in your rock and roll

Macintosh/UNIX Geek, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.