Re: minimal CD construction?

I would use apt-move sync to create a local archive of your own system.
That's what I did.  I then used pgi to create an ISO image with the PGI
installer.

The other thing you could do is create a local archive with apt-move sync,
then use the bare minimum of Debian's installation system.  Create a
directory and use the following script to create the debian installer
in minimal fashion:

-- CUT --
mkdir images-1.44
cd images-1.44
wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/rescue.bin
wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/root.bin
cd ..
mkdir images-2.88
cd images-2.88
wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current/images-2.88/rescue.bin
cd ..
wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/current/drivers.tgz
wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/disks-i386/base-images-current/basedebs.tar
cat > makeiso.sh << EOF
mkisofs -o /tmp/debian.iso -R -V "Debian GNU/Linux" -v \
-T -d -D -N -b images-2.88/rescue.bin -c rescue.cat \
-A "Debian GNU/Linux" .
EOF
-- CUT --

Its crude, I know, but put your apt-move archive in this directory and you
have an instant CD of your system.  You could even use

dpkg --get-selections > somefile.dselect

to create a file to install the software with:

cat somefile.dselect | dpkg --set-selections
dselect install

And it should install all the software from the CD's apt-move archive.
There are alot of tricks I dont remember now, but thats how I created a
"hand out" cd.

--
Arthur H. Johnson II, Debian GNU/Linux Advocate
Catechist, St John Catholic Church, Davison MI USA

IRC:  By-Tor@irc.debian.org,#debian
YIM:  arthurjohnson
AIM:  bytor4232
ICQ:  31770438