Re: printing in Debian

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:48:55PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
| On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:17:32PM +1000, CaT wrote:
| > On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 07:44:29PM +0700, Musang S.X. wrote:
| > > So how do you print (and configure a printer) in
| > > Debian, actually...?
| > >
| > > I've read the Linux Printing HOWTO, but found so little
| > > for the Debian-specific (or is it just me? :-p)...
| > >
| > > Anybody mind sharing...?
| >
| > apt-cache search cups
| >
| > This is on a woody system though.
| >
| > Unless you're unlucky you should be able to get your printer going in
| > under 5 mins by connecting to localhost:631 with your web browser. The
| > username/passwd is root and its password.
|
| My browsere is Galeon. When I type localhost:631 in the URL window, it
| responds immediately with connection refused.

That means you don't have any daemons listening on the port.  It does
not mean the authentication failed.

Did you install the 'cupsys' package?  Did you run
    /etc/init.d/cupsys start
?  Check that cups is running and listening on port 631 (the default
for it) with 'ps' and 'netstat'.

HTH,
-D

--

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/