uw-imapd (and mutt and squirrelmail)

Based on Jaldhar's recent claims of uw-imapd's capabilities, I
installed it.  Indeed it does what he said it does (and what I wanted)
-- INBOX is /var/mail/$USER and other folders are ~/Mail/... (just
like in mutt).

However, mutt can't display the contents of any folder other than the
INBOX, and squirrelmail causes out-of-memory errors in the folder list
frame.

Using telnet and tcpflow (and rfc2060 :-)) I have identified uw-imapd
as the cause of the problem :

$ telnet localhost imap2
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] dman.ddts.net IMAP4rev1 2001.315 at Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:14:44 -0500 (CDT)
01 login dman pass
01 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User dman authenticated
02 STATUS "INBOX" (RECENT)
Connection closed by foreign host.

$

uw-imapd simply drops the connection when the client tries to get the
status of INBOX.  (mutt tries to check the RECENT flag, squirrelmail
tries to check the UNSEEN flag, but the result is the same)

What might be causing this, and what can I do about it (besides go
back to courier-imap, which doesn't do what I want it to).

TIA,
-D

--

Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/