Re: Do I want NFS in the kernel?

<quote who="David De Graff">
> Thanks, Nate.
>
> Two follow-up questions:
>
> - Can I turn off the NFS server module so that it doesn't load at boot
> time (then change that setting when I'm ready to use it)?

from what i can tell, at least on the 2.2 kernel you can compile
it as a module and load it/unload it as you like(I have not
tried this). I don't have any 2.4.x based systems but I imagine
the situation is the same.

> - What do I use to access NFS shares on other boxes?

you'll need the nfs-common package, and you just use mount to
access them, i reccomend this command line

mount -t nfs REMOTE_HOST:/exported_filesystem /mnt/local_mount_point -o
nfsvers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

to use nfsvers=3 you'll need the kernel nfs server and nfs v3 enabled
this should give better performance then the default options.

then you access it like any other directory, its pretty cool. and
if your nfs server goes down a lot use the "soft" option, which will
keep the client retrying if the connection goes bad. i tested this
once by playing a mp3 ..and rebooting the nfs server, the mp3 still
played until the buffer went out(About 30 seconds before the server
came back), when the server came back up the mp3 continued to play
at the exact point where it left off. i was blown away!

note that NFS does require a lot of RPC services which have a history
of security problems so if your in a untrusted enviornment I would
either firewall your  server or  don't run NFS

nate