Do I want NFS in the kernel?

I'm a Linux newbie checking out woody, interested in using it for
development and hopefully migrating my laptop primary OS from Windows to
Debian.

I've been playing with various install configurations, and am wondering if
it makes sense to install NFS drivers in the kernel.

I would guess that this would be useful if I plan to either access or serve
NFS mounts - right? What other methods would I use for similar filesharing
between Linux boxes if not NFS?

Are there other ways to use NFS besides having the drivers in the kernel? I
would be interested in knowing advantages / disadvantages of each.

Thanks,

Dave De Graff