Re: how to make sure that anti-relaying is in place

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:16:24PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:

| I tried this and it gave me:
| :Relay test: #Test 9
| <<< 250 <spamtest@207-8-229-57.pe2996-1.ppp.talon.net> is syntactically
| correct
| <<< 250 <nobody%mail-abuse.org@[207.8.229.57]> is syntactically correct
| <<< 221 Pretzalz closing connection
| Tested host banner: 220 Pretzalz ESMTP Exim 3.35 #1 Fri, 05 Jul 2002
| 12:12:09 -0400
| System appeared to accept 1 relay attempts
|
| Is this something to be concerned about?

Yes.

(from spec.txt , exim v3)

percent_hack_domains          Type: domain list                Default: unset

    The 'percent hack' is the convention whereby a local part containing a
    percent sign is re-interpreted as a remote address, with the percent
    replaced by @. This is sometimes called 'source routing', though that term
    is also applied to RFC 822 addresses that begin with an @ character. If
    this option is set, Exim implements the percent facility for those local
    domains listed, but no others. The option can be set to '*' to allow the
    percent hack for all local domains.

    If options are set to control message relaying from incoming SMTP
    envelopes, they are also applied to relaying that is requested via the
    'percent hack'. See section 46.4.

set

percent_hack_domains = :

in your exim.conf to disable that sort of relaying.

-D

--

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/