"NFS Slave"??

Greetings,

I have two Beowulf clusters on two subnets hanging off different machines. (Actually, one has six different subnets to make it a flat network topology on more machines than will fit on a single switch, but that's not important.) One head node (call it "head1") is my NIS/NFS server, so that cluster's config was easy. The other head node ("head2") is an NIS/NFS client.

I've set up an NIS slave on head2, which doesn't quite work (but I think I know why and haven't exhausted all of the possible things to do).

But is there such a thing as an NFS slave? I try to export /home from head2, which mounts it from head1, but when clients mount it from head2, /var/log/messages shows:

Jul 3 13:22:25 head2 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from node10.longevity.edu:736 for /home (/home)
Jul  3 13:22:25 head2 rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

I guess this is because it's not a local disk.  Is this possible to do?

The second head node is running 2.4.18 with the 2.4.18-athlon .deb's config plus SMP and nfs-kernel-server, both from woody.

[-user people, please CC me in replies, as I'm not subscribed.]

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>