RE: X in Woody - what gives [SOLVED]

The mix of hints from Don, Johan and Mark did the trick.

The real killer turned out to be the 1, 4, and 8 depth entries! I commented
out all the planes except for the 4 and set the default depth to 4.  I got
an immediate message saying that the driver didn't support that depth!  So I
deleted the 1 and 4 depth sections and set the default depth to 8.  Bingo,
at this point I was off to the races.  Deleted the 1, 4 and 15 depth
sections; rebooted the system and there was joy.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions!
-rick