Re: how to make sure that anti-relaying is in place

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:32:20AM -0400, christophe barbé wrote:
| On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 04:29:26PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

That's a good start, at least.  It is still _possible_ that you have
some sort of relaying allowed.  I say this because you _can_ specify
certain hosts (or other specific criteria) that are allowed to relay,
and if you do that incorrectly you could become a relay for some
people.  However, unless you're doing something particularly odd the
mail-abuse test is probably thorough enough.

| > From the machine to be tested
| >
| > % telnet relay-test.mail-abuse.org
| That's all, do you specify a port or type a command ?
| When I try I see only :
|    telnet relay-test.mail-abuse.org
|    Trying
|    Connected to cygnus.mail-abuse.org.
|    Escape character is '^]'.

Do you have an MTA listening on port 25 of  Hmm, yes
you do.  Does it (and the routers leading up to it allow connections
from the mail-abuse host (  It connects back to the
host you telneted in from.  I just tried it on my machine, kinda neat.

There is not a righteous man on earth
    who does what is right and never sins.
        Ecclesiastes 7:20