Re: X in Woody - what gives

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:26:39AM -0700, Rick Commo wrote:
> Well, after a message from Greg Madden I reinstalled Woody from scratch
> using the 2.4 Kernel and X86Free V4.1.  And as per Harold Bibik's post, I
> went to Matrox's site and downloaded the latest drivers.  That got rid of
> the "missing mga_hal" message.

I had the same experience with another newish hardware setup recently.

> Any other ideas out there?

Try X -configure as root.  It will create a configuration file in your
root directory. Test it. If you can bring up a graphical screen,
you have at least something that works.  Compare that file with
/etc/X11/XConfigure-4 and try to build a working one from the two.

I have used this technique a few times with success where
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 did not work properly.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "But Jesus said, Let the little children come to me,
      and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven
      belongs to such as these."
                                   Matthew 19:14