Re: X in Woody - what gives

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 03:33:19PM -0700, Rick Commo wrote something like this:

> tried this and got the same results.  The XF86Config-4 was created but
> startx bails with the messages (summarized paraphrased)
> (EE) MGA: Failed to load module 'mga_hal' (module does not exist, 0)
>      blah blah
>      using builtin mode inst
> (EE) Screens found, but none have a usable config.
> Fatal server error: no screens found

this sounds similar to what happens to me everytime XFree86 gets

I'm using a Matrox G400 with the drivers supplied from matrox.com
if I copy the mga_drv.o and mga_hal_drv.o into
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and copy mga_dri.so into

then it all works fine

In Cyberspace, the 1st Amendment is a local ordinance. - John Perry Barlow

Harold Bibik                  hwbj@twcny.rr.com