Re: Best way to setup my home network and share my internet connection

I do something similar, except in my area the only
internet service I can get is through modem.

I turn on IP forwarding in my gateway system (the one
with the modem).  Then I  use ipchains to make the
connection between my internal lan and the internet.

Other clients on the network are set up to list my
internet connected Debian as a gateway.

This setup allows both windows and linux systems to
get to the internet through my internal lan.

Here are entries I put in the misc entry in the
/etc/rcS.d directory, to set up may gateway:

# Turn on ip forwarding
echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# Allow dynamic ip addresses
echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

# Turn on ip masquerading
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ
#

(where the 192.168.1 would be the 1st 3 numbers you
use on your internal lan)

I'm not an expert on firewalls, but I have set up
access control in /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow
to limit access to my system.