Configuration problems using Apache/PHP

Hi all, has anyone had the same problem I'm currently having?

I'm using Debian Unstable (PPC) with apache and php. This is all on my
local machine and it's only used as a personal server on my LAN.

Anyway, I'm trying to work with sessions, and the problem that keeps
on coming up is that the variables that I declare in the session
aren't passed on with the session. Here's a small example of what I
mean:

<?PHP
	session_start();
	session_register("count");

	$count++;
	print("You are visitor #$count.");
?>

Now every time you reload this, it's supposed to increment $count by
one. But for some reason it doesn't. It just resets $count to 0 and
adds one to it. (So $count always appears to be 1.)

I've been several other places for help on this and all I've managed
to get is one person to help me with this. All that he was able to
come up with is that it's a configuration problem. So if *anyone* can
help me with this, or if you've had to deal with this before, could
you please help me?

Thanks!

-Mannequin.